Yield: 6.5 servings
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (heaping)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg white
- 1 pound raw almonds (whole)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- To a small mixing bowl, add both sugars, cinnamon, cardamom,salt, ginger, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add egg white to a larger mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until frothy. Add vanilla bean paste and beat again to combine. This can be done with a whisk, but will take longer.
- Add almonds to the bowl with the egg whites and stir to combine. Add sugar mixture and stir again to combine.
- Spread almonds out in a single, even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Back for 1 hours, stirring almonds every 15 minutes. For larger batches or extra crispy bake for an additional hour.
- After almonds have baked an hour, taste one almond to check for desired crispiness. Adjust baking time per your tastes.
- Let almonds cool, uncovered.
- Nuts can be served warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.